Sunday, October 12, 2014

Getting them something they don't know they want..

Most people (even me) will go shopping for Christmas or birthday presents and think about their age and get things that seem appropriate for them.  For instance.. if you're shopping for a 7 year old girl.. you'd go straight to toys, right?  I'm not saying that I'm the best gift giver.  I get stumped a lot of times and end up giving some of the lamest presents that I could possibly give.  When it comes to my kids, I'm pretty good at knowing what they want or need.  This year though.. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what to get for my daughter.  -She's too old for this or too young for that kind of thing.-  HOWEVER... we spent some quality time together today and I paid attention to the things she was doing and what she was saying.  BAM!  Best idea for a present she will LOVE and she has no idea she even wants it.  No, it's not a shiny new toy or the latest electronic gizmo.  It's not even in an area of a store that I would dream of looking for her.  Yes, my kids will get toys and gizmos too, but they expect that sort of thing.  It's funny because if I were to say "make a Christmas list", this gift would be nowhere on it.. but it'll probably be one of her favorites Christmas morning.  I guess what I'm trying to say is take some time to listen and do the unexpected.  You might be surprise by some of the things you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment